This article about gerrymandering in the US is a bit one sided, but worth reading:
Also, here is an interesting paper from the BIS (h/t Riholtz) that will probably be closely read by Asia-Pacific regulators:
Using data from 57 countries spanning more than three decades, this paper investigates the effectiveness of nine non-interest rate policy tools, including macroprudential measures, in stabilising house prices and housing credit… Among the policies considered, a change in housing-related taxes is the only policy tool with a discernible impact on house price appreciation.
- US Pending Home Sales declined -0.6% MoM in Oct vs +1.0% exp
- A six-month deal with Iran was struck Saturday night. Iran will stop enriching uranium beyond 5% and will convert its existing stockpile of uranium enriched to 20% into oxide. During the agreement, both sides will attempt to negotiate a broader nuclear arrangement. The leaders of both the Democratic and Republican parties are threatening to break with President Barack Obama’s policy and enact new punitive sanctions on Iran, arguing that the interim deal reached in Geneva on Sunday yields too much to the Islamist regime while asking too little. "The disproportionality of this agreement makes it more likely that Democrats and Republicans will join together and pass additional sanctions when we return in December," said Sen. Charles Schumer (D., N.Y.), an influential member of the Senate Democratic leadership.” WSJ
- S&P said Japan’s credit quality conditions continue to weaken and it sees more than a one-in-three chance of cutting the sovereign rating within two years.
- Tue: US Housing Starts, Consumer Confidence, South Korea Mfg Survey
- Wed: UK 3Q GDP, US Jobless Claims, Durable Goods Orders, Chicago PMI, U Michigan Confidence, Japan Retail Trade
- Thu: US Holiday, EU Money Supply, Japan PMI, CPI, IP, UK GfK Consumer Confidence
- Fri: Month End, Japan Housing Starts, UK Money Supply, EU Unemployment CPI,
- Weekend: China Mfg PMI, AU Mfg PMI, Japan Capital Spending, Australia New home Sales, Building Approvals,
- Mon: EU PMI, US ISM,